Bird Watching / Birding in Mount Elgon National Park – Uganda Safari news
Mount Elgon National Park is a popular family friendly hiking safari in Uganda destination. With several trails for hiking this Trans Boundary Mountain is a great hiking destination for families on Uganda safaris. Mount Elgon National Park is home to 300 bird species including 40 restricted range species. Being a great Uganda birding safari destination, 56 of the 87 Afro tropical highland biome species live here, notably the Moorland Francolin, Moustached Green Tinkerbird and Alpine Chat. Birding in Mount Elgon National Park is one of the great activities in Mount Elgon National Park especially for avid birders who would love to tailor bird watching and hiking.
Bird Species in Mount Elgon National Park
Birds whose Ugandan range is limited to Mount Elgon include the Jackson’s Francolin and Black-collared Apalis seen only on a birding safari in Uganda to the park. Among those limited to just a few mountains in eastern Uganda are the Black-shouldered Kite and Tacazze Sunbird.
Mount Elgon is one of the few places in Uganda where the endangered Lammergeier or Bearded Vulture can be seen, soaring above the caldera and Suam Gorge.
Other species spotted while birding in Mount Elgon National Park include; the African Goshawk, Chubb’s Cisticola, White-chinned Prinia, African Blue Flycatcher, Chinspot Batis, Mackinnon’s Fiscal, Dohertys Bushshrike, Luhders Bushshrikes, Baglafecht Weaver, Cinnamon Bee Eater, Moustached Tinkerbird, Hartlaub’s Turaco, Tacazze Sunbird, Olive-naped Pigeon, Bronze-naped pigeon, Black Kite, Black-collared Apalis among others.
The Jackson’s Francolin, Red-fronted Parrot, Red Chested owlet, Bar-tailed Trogon, Forest Wood-hoopoe, Grey-chested Illadopsis, Black –collared Apalis, Purple Throated cuckoo-shrike, Golden –winged and Tacazze Sunbirds, oriole Finch and many more can be seen on a Uganda birding tour to Mount Elgon National Park.
Best spots for Birding in Mount Elgon National Park
The best spots to have a glimpse of the bird species of Mount Elgon include;
Kapkwai Forest Exploration Centre, in particular in the secondary forest and thick shrub along the loop trail to Cheptui Falls. At this point you can possibly sight the African Goshawk; Chubb’s Cisticola, White-chinned Prinia, Moustached Tinkerbird and African Blue Flycatcher among others.
Mount Elgon is a trans boundary destination not only available for a Uganda safari but also can be visited by tourists on Kenya safaris or wildlife safaris in Kenya. If you need more hiking adventures, a Tanzania safari or hiking safari to Tanzania is a great option. For bird watching, continuing for a Rwanda safari or Congo tour can be much rewarding.
Recommendable Uganda Safari Packages
For any kind of traveler whether luxury, Mid-range or basic planning to come in for Uganda tours, these packages offer the best safari memories;
- 3 days Gorilla trekking safari in Uganda
- 3 Days Uganda Gorilla Trekking Safari to Bwindi
- 1 day Jinja tour excursion
- 1 Day Tour Ngamba Island Chimps
- 1 Day Kampala City Tour
- 3 Days Queen Elizabeth Park Safari Uganda
- 2 Days Wildlife safari in Uganda Queen Elizabeth
- 4 Days Wildlife Safari in Uganda to Queen Elizabeth National Park
- 3 Days Murchison Falls Safari Uganda
- 2 Days Murchison Falls safari Uganda
- 7 Days Uganda Budget Wildlife Safari Tour to Murchison Falls
- 3 Days Uganda Gorilla tour to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- 2 Days Uganda Safari to Lake Mburo National Park
- 3 Days Uganda Safari to Lake Mburo National Park
- 2 Days Chimpanzee Trekking Safari
- 5 days Wildlife and Chimpanzee Safari in Uganda
- 3 Days Chimpanzee trekking safari in Kibale Uganda
- 4 Days Wildlife Chimpanzee Safari
- 5 Days Gorilla and Wildlife Safari in Uganda
- Uganda Gorilla Trekking Tour
- 10 Days Uganda Gorillas Chimps Safari
- 4 Days Uganda Gorilla Trekking and Wildlife Safari
- Uganda Gorilla Safari
- 6 days Uganda Gorilla Tracking safari
- 13 Days Uganda Rwanda Safari
- 8 Days Uganda safari tours
- 9 Days Uganda Safari
- 3 days Uganda Safari to Kidepo National Park